STREET ART TOURS FOR SCHOOLS
Brockley Street Art Festival is running tours in June taking in a selection of work produced by past festivals, as well as an opportunity to observe some live painting.
Brockley Street Art Festival is an annual arts festival which runs alongside Brockley Max. Our mission is to bring colour and stories to the streets of South East London by creating a showcase of stunning murals for all to enjoy, by local, national and international artists.
Now in our third year, we are keen to increase public participation and are offering a limited number of guided tours for school groups, taking in a selection of work produced by past festivals, as well as an opportunity to observe some live painting.
WHO ARE THE TOURS AIMED AT?
Year 4 and above, with aspects relevant to Key Stage 2 of the National Curriculum for Art & Design and Geography, but also links into History and Science.
WHAT THEMES ARE ADDRESSED?
As well as educating on the artists and stories behind the murals, we will also explore:
- The historical and cultural context of street art
- The geographical impact of street art on our local area, how it can mark boundaries and how it can reflect the history, creativity and diversity of our neighbourhood. Does street art enrich our area? What would our streets be like without it?
- Street art as a public art form accessible to all. How do the range of styles and techniques engage, inspire or challenge us? Is this visually or emotionally? What would we like to see?
WHEN, WHERE AND HOW LONG?
- Tours will be booked on a first come first served basis.
- We aim to run one tour per day from Monday 5th June to Friday 9th June 2017.
- The best concentration of work is close to Brockley Station, but the route can be tailored to your needs, taking in around 8-10 pieces of art, within around 2-3km.
- Duration is expected to be 1-2 hours depending on additional discussion and learning objectives.
WHAT IS THE COST TO SCHOOLS?
Expected donation between £60-£100 per group of 30 children.
All proceeds go towards the festival fund. We are a nonprofit Community Interest Company, so rely heavily on donations of the local authority, local businesses and the public, in order to cover materials, pay artists and make the festival happen.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS COST?
- A passionate knowledgeable speaker/guide (one of the Street Art Festival team)
- An introductory session before the tour
- A meeting with teaching staff to ensure tie-in to current topics or Arts Award
- 15-20 minute classroom session to introduce the themes to the class
FOR QUESTIONS OR TO BOOK PLEASE CONTACT PHILLIPA ELLIS email@example.com
OR VIA OUR WEBSITE